I'm finally sharing my completed Good Fortune quilt! I've had this done for quite a while now and just hadn't gotten around to editing pictures and posting about it. (Putting off photo editing is a very, very, bad idea for me apparently since I never want to go back to it.) I made this as a comfort quilt for a friend's mom who was undergoing a stem cell transplant. When I went to choose fabric my local quilt shop had just gotten in Kate Spain's Good Fortune collection. I wanted something peaceful and calm, yet cheerful looking. Good Fortune fit and it seemed perfect to give "good fortune" to someone starting out with a second chance after cancer. I picked up a layer cake and a little bit of Good Fortune yardage and a pile of coordinating solids, planning to make a simple square in a square quilt; cutting up the layer cake into blocks, pairing each fabric with a solid, cutting and having two blocks the inverse of each other.
Once I got home and was looking around, I ended up deciding that I really wanted to try out Faith's Lemon Squares pattern
. Although, I knew I wanted to use less white than the pattern calls for and more of the solid colors I'd chosen. Since I was working with a layer cake and all those different solid colors each block was completely unique. I think I probably wouldn't take this approach again since it was very time consuming despite taking as many shortcuts as I could with cutting and chain piecing. I also added an additional row of blocks to the quilt make it a bit longer, finishing at about 54 x 72 inches and a total of 48 blocks.
I've seen several quilts in the past year or so that had a word or name as part of a pieced back on a quilt. I wanted to recreate this look with a special word my friend chose for her mom "Strength." I've never done any piecing like this so I ordered Word Play Quilts
to get started. The techniques in the book are very fun and relaxed and makes letter piecing possible even for a novice quilter. For this quilt I wanted the word to look a little more precise, so I took the time to plan my letters out on graph paper and worked a little more carefully than if I were taking more of a freeform approach. As expected, the letters that gave me the most trouble were those with angles - the 'N' and 'R' but I'm sure with a bit more practice they would go together much easier.
First try at letters from Word Play Quilts
I machine quilted using a crosshatch design through the squares with white Aurifil thread and hand stitched the binding.
You can find my previous entries about my Good Fortune quilt here: Good Fortune Quilt
Now that I have this quilt finished, as well as my ^snail-baby-quilt, which I'll be blogging about this weekend for the Bloggers' Quilt Festival
, I started pulling fabrics from my stash for my next project. Fabrics and a pattern are still being decided, but this is what I pulled out today as a start:
And later when I came back....